After delivery facing gas problems. Suggest diet?

Question
Post baby delivery by surgery my wife is facing gas problem in her stomach . please help and also wanted to know about the food she can have or which type of food need to be avoided.
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
No dietary restrictions.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

From your question I understand that post delivery your wife has been suffering from stomach issues and you also want to know what foods can be taken and what should be avoided.

To be able to guide you better, I would need a few more details about delivery and hospital stay. So I request you to kindly answer these questions,

1. When did she deliver the baby?
2. You have mentioned surgery, was this surgery Cesarean section?
3. How many days was your wife in the hospital?
4. What are the medicines she is currently taking?
5. What type of foods are you giving your wife?

Some amount of gastric irritation is common after any major surgery, so relax, she will be alright very soon. The reason could also be the medicines she is taking for pain relief after the surgery.

To decrease the gastric irritation you can give your wife some over the counter medicines like omez-D, this will decrease the acid formation and will help in recovery faster. I will suggest more on this once you write back to me with the answers to my questions.

Now coming to the foods that can be taken after delivery.

1. She can eat every thing. There are absolutely no restrictions in the foods after delivery, this is very important because a feeding mother needs 150% food compared to when she was not pregnant, so if you restrict foods, she will not get enough as she will be eating not only for herself but also for the baby. If she does not eat enough then she will become weak as she keeps producing milk for the baby.

2. In your wife's case, since she is having gastric problems, for the time being you can avoid spicy and fried foods for the time being. Once her gastric problem is over she should start eating normally.

Please consult your doctor if the pain becomes more or if the gastric problem does not get better.

Please do write back with the answers so that I can help you better.

Awaiting your response.

Dr. Yogesh. D