After being on sertaline, have had unusual side effect of buying more and more things. Related?

Rheumatologist
Question
hi since i have been on sertaline i have had many side effects but the most unsall is to buy loads and loads of things i dont need i have always been good with money but really dont know whats got into me can you please tell me can this be a side effect of tablets i have never been like this i am a woman aged 64thank you very much
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems unrelated.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem you have been taking sertraline and indulging in compulsive buying since same time .

Sertraline is SSRI and an anti depressent and has been known for causing mood disturbances and sexual disorders but compulsive buying has not been reported as a side effect .

I think you should consult your treating psychiatrist for assessment of disease and to evaluate if the it is a part of disease process.

Dr. Shruti