After a sharp pain in lower back, body tingles and worsens with deep breath. Is itching neck related?

I had a couple of few seconds pain in the lower back area (i guess near the spine) yesterday and ever since am having tingling / pricking sensation in my body and upper arms from time to time. I am really worried what this might be. This sensation increases when I do XXXXXXX breathing.

Few days back I was having severe itching in my neck and behind my ears too.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 16 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Did you lift heavy weight recently?
2.) Do you sit for prolonged periods?
3.) What is your height and weight?

Your History suggests you may have a nerve compression in the spine from where the nerves arise from spinal cord, it has to be confirmed. Kindly get yourself examined by an Orthopedician so that he may examine you in detail after taking your detailed history followed by,

1.) Spine X XXXXXXX
2.) MRI
3.) CT Scan
4.) Nerve Conduction Studies

Once the cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly with the following:

1.) Analgesics
2.) Physical Therapy
3.) Surgery (Rarely)

Severe itching in your body is not related to the pain and tingling sensation.

Follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Get adequate rest and avoid too much bed rest.
2.) Apply cold packs to where you feel the pain.
3.) Avoid lifting heavy weights.
4.) Wear a Lumbar support belt after discussing it with your Doctor.
5.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.