After a fall seemed to sprain hand. Have taken Tylenol. Suggest?

Yesterday I asked about ; after a fall on sidewalk I seem to have sprained my hand
Shoul I see my doctor,or would you advise me what to do. It has been two days since
It happen and my hand is still swollen "less. I do apply ice yesterday ,and took Tylenol .
I am 82 yrs.old.
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can consider waiting a few days

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

If the swelling is decreasing then it is less likely to be a bony injury and is likely a sprain as you stated.

This means that it should resolve with rest, the application of ice and use of medication as you were doing.

Since you are noting a response you can continue with your present mode of treatment for another 2 to 3 days. During that time there should progressive decrease in the swelling and any discomfort.

If you do not have a history of reflux, you may want to consider the use of an anti inflammatory pain killer that may quicken the process.
Though tylenol is effective for pain , it is not typically considered anti inflammatory .
Medication such advil (ibuprofen) can be used. This has both a pain relief and anti inflammatory action. Other examples would be cataflam, celebrex, aspirin.

These should be used on a full stomach.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions