After a bowel movement it appears I have not cleaned myself adequately. Does this indicate something serious?

After a bowel movement It appears I have not cleaned myself adequately. Even after I shower (and I clean my anal area good) and put on clean underwear, it appears that I have not even attempted to clean myself when I take them off. It doesn't appear to be leakage but just bad hygiene which is not the case. This has been going on for about six months not.
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 18 hours later
Brief Answer: Exclude the causes below Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, It is concerning, especially if you just noticed this lately. It might be necessary to know if you have similar feelings at the level of urination. How is your urine function, and urine storage ability? This is important because the nerves that control anal sphincter and the bladder sphincter have same origins. In case you have noticed anything with your voiding capacity, this could be due to nerve problems with the nerve supply these sphincters called the pudendal nerve. Any history of any spinal surgery or trauma should be carefully considered too. Nerves originating from this area guide anal sphincter function. If it’s not the case, the second commonest cause of this sensation is hemorrhoids. There do exists some hemorrhoids that do not present with pain and do present as such. It might important to check of you have noticed any blood in stool, anal pain or itches. These are the two main causes of this sensation. In some rare cases, prostate problems could mostly affect the bladder. In case you have no problems with the bladder, this possibility would be difficult to think of. I do strongly recommend that you consult with your primary care physician first. A careful questioning about your past medical and family history could help. He shall go on to critically examine the anal region before taking any specific decisions. Thanks and hope this helps. I am predisposed to answer any follow up questions in case you do have any special concerns. I will be glad making any humble suggestions for your well being, Kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Dr Rogers