Afraid of loosing hymen. Use to masturbate. Suggestion?

Question
Hi doctor,
I really want to know if I did not loss my vigina and I'm still vergain. Is there any advice to check alone by my self or to send you a picture. Because I don't want to see a doctor. I used to masturbate but I stopped it when I know about the risks. And I'm afraid that I loss my hymn

Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 14 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

I can understand your concern.

Some women however are born with little hymen tissue it may appear that there is none present.
The hymen is a thin membrane just inside the vaginal opening that is seen at birth

The effect of masturbation on the hymen present would depend on what was done. For example stimulation of the clitoris would not affect the hymen however insertion of objects would.
In fact even without masturbation, the use of tampons, riding a bicycle, riding a horse would disrupt the hymen, simple menstruation because the blood would have had to pass through this membrane.

In most if not all adult women the membrane would already be worn away by adulthood.Virginity is not simply about the presence of a hymen because this may not be present.

The fact that you have never had penetrative intercourse makes you a virgin. Your vaginal passage would narrow and your eventual partner would recognize this.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Afraid of loosing hymen. Use to masturbate. Suggestion? 1 hour later

I uploaded a picture could it help you to know if I lost my hymn or not?

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 minutes later
HI,

I was not able to see the hymen.

Your eventual partner will not know if you loss your hymen or not. It is not something that would be felt on penetration or a barrier that would be felt when broken.

The vaginal passage would be tight and narrow and your partner would be able to see that you were not active previously.
This is why women who may have been active for a long time have procedures to tighten their vagina.

Please feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Afraid of loosing hymen. Use to masturbate. Suggestion? 4 minutes later
I'm really getting confused because I asked a doctor in this website
He saw the pic and he told me that 100% my hymn is not damaged.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 minutes later
HI

In the photo you uploaded , if you look to the top of the image , there is a membrane that can be seen.It has a translucent or cloudy appearance. The entire top of this area cannot be seen to see if it is completely intact, but some of it is present.

I am sorry for that, I did not see it properly the first time, I apologise for any distress this may have caused you

Follow-up: Afraid of loosing hymen. Use to masturbate. Suggestion? 3 minutes later
So, I didn't not damaged my hymn?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 20 minutes later
No,it does not appear so.

If you masturbate by just clitoral stimulation, there should not be any damage in the future either.

If you do it by insertion of any objects then it is possible that damage may occur.

Hope this puts your mind at ease

Feel free to ask anything else

Do you want me to take another photo? A clear photo

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 minutes later
HI

If you wish to do so for a recheck, you can do so, no problem. If it would make you feel more at ease.

Follow-up: Afraid of loosing hymen. Use to masturbate. Suggestion? 40 minutes later
I've just uploaded a photo if it dosnt help give me a tip of how to take the photo

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 14 minutes later
HI

This one provides less information than the first. You can try using a hand to spread the labia, place your feet together and open your knees as widely as possible , this is the pap smear position
The room should be brightly lit

This should provide a clear photo

Follow-up: Afraid of loosing hymen. Use to masturbate. Suggestion? 10 minutes later
I uploaded 2 pix

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 minutes later
HI

Based on these two pictures , the hymen is present and intact.

Follow-up: Afraid of loosing hymen. Use to masturbate. Suggestion? 8 minutes later
Are you sure doctor because am getting married soon and my family and my future husband are really close minded and I'm afraid that I damaged my hymn.
This will be my last question are u 100% sure that my hymn is intact?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 33 minutes later
Hi, based on the pictures that you have provided , your hymen appears to be intact.
Congrats on your marriage, everything should go well for you.

There should be no problems when you are intimate with your husband.