Affected by polio in leg during childhood. One leg is shorter and have difficulty walking long distance. Suggest?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi Sir! I am 28yr old. i am affected by polio in my right leg when i was 6 months old. By god grace i can walk and drive independently without others help. my right leg is little shoter then left leg. and my right foot there is no strength. there is any operation or treatment for this to walk like a normal person. I am getting difficult in walking long distance as my leg starts bending with distance their any operation so that my leg will be in normal position as left leg. please tell me valuable good suggestion. Thanks in Advance.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, there is a possibility.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

This is just to let you know that both the muscles and bones in polio affected persons will be very weak.

Generally, CALIPERS (external supports) are helpful in providing support and maintaining the alignment of the limb.

Some of the surgical options which can be of help in your case are -

* ILIZAROV limb lengthening can be done to achieve correction of your right sided short leg
* If you have a flail and painful ankle, it can be corrected by surgical fusion of the joint (ARTHRODESIS)
* In order to correct any weakness in one particular joint, TENDON TRANSFER surgeries can be done.

But, in order to do any of the following, a detailed clinical evaluation is necessary to know which surgery best fits you.

I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon in your locality and discuss the issues.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Follow-up: Affected by polio in leg during childhood. One leg is shorter and have difficulty walking long distance. Suggest? 39 hours later
my polio affected right leg has small amount of muscle as compare to left leg. is their as method to increase muscle on polio affected leg. please suggest any Orthopaedic expert at pune or mumbai location.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Polio affected muscles are always smaller

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

This is just to let you know that polio affected muscles are always smaller in size when compared to the normal side. This is because of the fact that the muscle tissue is replaced by Fibrous tissue in poliomyelitis. And hence it is very difficult or almost impossible to increase the bulk of the polio affected muscles.

I'm sorry to say this but I don't know any doctor in either pune or mumbai. Both these places have excellent orthopedic surgeons of good reputation. Approach a surgeon with good experience in dealing with poliomyelitis cases to provide a solution to your problem.

Good luck