Affected by dengue fever. Blood test done. Symptoms of cancer?

My sister has recently affected by denque fever and two day before we take an blood test for her and the report showing that her WBC count is more than 0000. Is that any symptoms of cancer
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 39 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
I don't think she has dengue fever. Fever with high neutrophil count and toxic granulations suggest bacterial infection. Blood culture is negative but what about urine culture? Is there any other focus like sore throat or ear infection?

She needs intravenous antibiotics and monitoring of counts. Possibility of leukemia (blood cancer) is low at this point but will need to be considered if she does not improve with this.

The anemia also needs to be investigated further. At least full iron studies in blood is required.

Hope i have answered your query. I will be available for further follow up queries if any.

In any case if there is no improvement then a bone marrow test may be required.