Advised to wear glasses for vision -1.0. Can this vision got corrected?

Ophthalmologist
Question
My 11 year daughter has been advised ( we did a thorough eye check up at Sankara Eye Hospital, Bangalore) to wear glasses for far vision , -1.0 for both eyes. I have got the glasses made and she has started wearing, my query is that is there any medicine/diet/exercise by which we can get her vision corrected and she gets away with glasses. Also, both me and my wife do not wear glasses. Thanks and regards. XXXXX
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 16 hours later
Dear Mr XXXXXXX

Your daughter has got myopia. Myopia is due to a longer eyeball than required. There are no established treatments which can cure myopia. But there are certain corrective surgeries(LASIK) which can be done after 18 years of age. Till then your daughter has to wear glasses and can also use contact lenses. Also get her eyes checked once in 6 months for any change in power of glasses.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah

Follow-up: Advised to wear glasses for vision -1.0. Can this vision got corrected? 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor. Does she needs to take some vitamins / eye exercise along with wearing glasses tillage of 18 or just wear glasses. Also does she need to wear glasses throughout the day or only when reading white boards in class, using computers and watching TV.

Thanks and regards.

XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 23 minutes later
Dear Mr XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

Instead of giving her vitamins, you can encourage her to eat green leafy vegetables and carrots. Eye exercises are not required. She has to wear glasses throughout the day. The more she wears them the better her eyes will become.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah