Advised to take primoult for prolonged periods. Ultrasound report was normal. Any suggestion?

May 2013
41 yrs. past six years have non stop cycles which settles down with the intervention of harmone therapy. stopped taking harmone tablets. two cycles were regular. but this time again had non stop cycle. advised to take primoult. please give your opinion. Ultra sound shows normal study.
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: May use progesterone pills for few months Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. As your ultrasound report is normal, the possible cause for your menorrhagia is hormonal imbalance. Better to check the thyroid profile once. Primulot contains norethisterone. This helps in curing the menorrhagia by decreasing the estrogen predominance. Possibly using the tablets for around 6 months may cure your problem. If the bleeding persists, better to go for premenstrual D & C once. This helps for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. One more option is using progesterone containing intra uterine contraceptive device like mirena. This can be kept in place for around 5 years. This helps in decreasing the bleeding by acting on uterine endometrium. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Follow-up: Advised to take primoult for prolonged periods. Ultrasound report was normal. Any suggestion? 46 hours later
Thank you doctor for replying to my query. The problem is recurring again and again. Is the hormonal imbalance is treatable permanently? Is it connected to perimenopause. Then how long it will continue? Does the tablet has any other side effect. I have already checked up my thyroid profile. and it is normal. But I am obese. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: D&C followed by progesterone pills Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, hormonal imbalance can be seen in perimenopausal age group. Usually taking the hormonal pills for few months can decrease imbalance in hormonal levels and can cure the problem. According to your age and symptoms, better to go for premenstrual D & C once. By this the tissue can be examined to find out the cause for menorrhagia. Then you can continue with progesterone pills as told by your doctor. Possibly this will cure your problem and also rule out fears about major problems. Progesterone pills may have side effects like bloating sensation of the abdomen, nausea etc. But these will subside soon. Better to decrease weight. Reduction of 1 to 2 kgs also helps in regularization of the cycles to some extent. Take care.