Advised to take acitrom for DVT in left limb. Is there any other means of treatment?

hello doctor My hubby has dvt in left limb because of which his blood flow is not complete in his deep vein,superficial veins have formed.he also has a small clot in lower ivc.doctors here have ruled out going for cather method to burst the clot,instead have asked him to take acitrom 4mg for lifelong.I just wanted to know if there is any other means of treatment for this?so that his deep vein is recanalized and blood flows normally? -worried wife
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: surgical options available Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Acitrom(Acenocoumarol) acts as an anticoagulant, antiplatelet and fibrinolytic(Thrombolytic). This may to prevent further clot formation and dissolves the clot. The doctors may have decided not to catheterize because the clot is small and it will dissolve with medicine. The age of your husband is also less and there is an high chance of new vessel formation(Collateral circulation) and maintain a normal blood of the limbs. Now coming to your question. If recanalization is not done due to various reasons then a filter can be fixed in the large vessels(vena cavas) in the abdomen to prevent clot that break loss getting lodged in the lungs. Hope the answer helps you. let me know if there is any clarifications. Regards.
Follow-up: Advised to take acitrom for DVT in left limb. Is there any other means of treatment? 18 minutes later
Will the clot ever dissolve just by medicin? Would there be complications if we opt for ssurgery I.e to insert ivc filter? Coz chances of bleeding is a risk when he is taking anticoagulant is what the doctor said.So can we just continue with oral medication? Anything else to worry about?
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Go with oral medicines Detailed Answer: Hello, In my opinion, go with oral medicine as the clot is small and it will easily dissolve. If you are opting for surgery, then all the anticoagulants will be stopped well in advance before surgery, to prevent the risk of bleeding. No need for surgery. Medicine and compression bandage of the area is more than enough. Regards.