Advised dialysis for kidney failure. Hopes of recovery? Is transplantation the only option?

hello sir, good evening..

one of my relative based in nagpur is facing a kidney failure (both), dialysis advised twice a week, what are future hopes of recovery or transplantation is only the possible option
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 25 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand you want to know of prognostic options of kidney failure.

Kidney failure recovery depends on the cause underlying which brought on the failure. I would assume he is a hypertensive as you wrote, and that might have been the cause. And most of the acute kidney failure cases usually recover in months to one year if the cause like an obstruction, or the blood pressure is well controlled. But chronic kidney failure over many years are progressive and difficult to treat.

Now, that he is on dialysis - indicates that it is a complete failure of both the kidneys. Recovery chances cannot be expressed in percentage if that is what you are asking in here. Because, the considerations of present kidney status, his medical history also come into the picture. And he will be continued to be observed while giving him dialysis every week to see if the gap between dialysis treatments increase - then that would mean improvement in function. And gradually dialysis is distanced further.

Many patients of hypertension usually recover from acute kidney failure in the right environment. But, that depending factors remain.

One good thing though is that he is very young, which means he has good chances than many in recovery.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.