Advised chemotherapy and radiation for throat cancer. Looking for alternate treatment

My grand father has a throat cancer in his food pipe and now he is on third stage..he is not able to eat anything.He eats only liquids.. Dr advice for chemotherapy and radiation.Another dr advice for operation & third opinion dr not advice for operation .Due to his old age..Dr advice there is no medicine for this disease.Dr advice for chemotherapy and radiation .It cost 40,000 per sitting..We are unable to afford.What should we do?what s the best diet for this
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 17 hours later

It is important to know which part of oesophagus has cancer. If it is in lower 1/3rd of the pipe (Gastroesophageal junction) Surgery will be still the good choice, to see your father survive longer.

If it is in the upper third or middle 3rd of pipe, Radiation therapy will be best suited for him. The concerned doctor would assess if combined chemotherapy/ radiotherapy will be more beneficial or radiation alone is good.

Direct chemotherapy will not be a good choice. Other general measures like management of associated anaemia, hypoproteinemia and poor nourishment have to be taken care.

Diet usually has to be of dilute liquid foods.Porridge of regular grains could serve the purpose.Protein powders like Ensure could be added to the diet.Also do not miss giving vegetables in the form of soups.

I hope I answered your query.

Please do let me know if there are any other concerns.
Dr. J. Ticku