Advise regarding the setting of sports injury?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dear Doctor,

I have a follow up questions pm the answer previously given. Could you advise me the settings used for sports injury WWW.WWWW.WW
Below was previous answered given previously

Brief Answer:
You can use heating pads also.

Detailed Answer:
In case of muscle tear or ligament sprain or in sports related injury, this low intensity pulsed ultrasound can help in increasing the blood flow to the area of injury thus increasing the rate of healing.
The ultrasound waves are emitted in a fixed frequency. Only the time of treatment can be altered. You can start with 10 minutes in case of minor injuries twice a day and then gradually increase the time to 20 minutes twice a day in a week's time. This is a simple to operate machine. You have to fix the probe over the area of maximum pain or tenderness for the best results. Be sure to rule out the presence of any hematoma in the area of injury. This might increase the size of the hematoma and increase the discoloration of the skin. Avoid using it within first 48 hours of injury to rule out any active bleeding in the area.
The other alternative that we can use is a simple heating pad as this will cause a local vasodilatation thus increasing the blood supply and the rate of healing.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. XXXXXXX Tayal.
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can only set the time.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
The settings for ultrasound stimulator are fixed. These cannot be changed. The probe will give out radiations in a fixed frequency. You can only change the time of the treatment using treatment start / pause button.
Every time you start the machine, you need to to continue the treatment as per your requirement.
The LED treatment timer bar graph shows only the time that has elapsed.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Advise regarding the setting of sports injury? 13 hours later
Thank you for the reply. Recently i have asked someone in this line and they mention that im able to use the machine after every 2 hours. Is that possible?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
No. You can use it as and when required.

Detailed Answer:
This is not true. You can use the machine as and when required and as many times you feel necessary. There is no need to give a time gap of 2 hours in between the usage.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Follow-up: Advise regarding the setting of sports injury? 4 hours later
Thank you for the reply but that still doesn't answer my question. I wanted to know if is okay to use every 2 hours if required, meaning that what is the maximum amount time I can use in a day? And if I'm going to use it 3 to 5 times a day will it have any side effect or it van aggravate
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Using it every two hours is not recommended.

Detailed Answer:
You can use it every two hours if required but the frequency of usage depends on the type and extent of your injury. There is no set upper limit of the usage but usually it is not advisable to use this more than 3-4 times a day. Overuse can cause an XXXXXXX bleeding and retard the healing process. Do consult your orthopedician about the duration and frequency of the treatment that you require.
Wishing you an early trouble free recovery.