Advantanges of broken wheat?

Please let me know the advantage of "Broken Wheat" (Helath wise) over Oats/corn flacks.Is it good to have broken wheat every day.

Help me to know more on Broken wheat......
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

I see that you have decided to make a switch for the better. This is good. Let me help you by listing as many advantages of broken wheat for you. While removing the unwanted substances, broken wheat maintains all of the healthy part of the grain. The advantages are:

-Has no trans-fat, saturated fat or cholesterol
-Very low in calories (107 calories), which is lesser than 1 cup of rice, or oatmeal or corn flakes
-Rich source of fiber. The advantage of this is that you will not have any trouble with digestion. And in fact, the faster your food digests, the more your metabolism increases. This can result in weight loss as well
-Great source of nutrition: It is a XXXXXXX source of protein (which helps in building muscles) and iron (gives immunity)
-Adds texture to food. Especially for meatless dishes, broken wheat is a great ingredient to bring variety
-Rich flavor is preferred even by meat lovers
-Helps in preventing and controlling conditions like diabetes, metabolic syndrome, etc.
-Lowers cholesterol levels
-Lowers blood pressure by 15-20 percent
-Slows down serious diseases like atherosclerosis
-One meal a day can lower the risk of heart attacks by 20 percent
-Is great for losing weight
-Significantly lowers the risk for cancer by including it one meal a day
-Low on calories, but fills your stomach, thus preventing you from feeling hungry soon
-Easy to cook (about 10-20 minutes maximum)

It is great to have broken wheat every day. It contains no carbohydrates like corn flakes and is more filling and less in calories when compared to oatmeal.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Advantanges of broken wheat? 46 minutes later
I am having a helath problem which is stomach upset periodically, please let me know is there is any disadvantage of having broken wheat w.r.t my stomach upset health problem.

As per your above points i understood broken wheat (as a food) is a better option (which also helps in weight management) compared to oats/corn flakes. Let me know is my understand is right.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 46 minutes later

Yes you have understood correct.

Now coming to your stomach upset problem. When an individual has a stomach upset or in conditions like irritable bowel syndrome, your food is not properly absorbed and so the stool is watery when present. But, if we shift to a diet XXXXXXX in fiber (eg. Broken wheat, oatmeal, etc.), the food is digested and absorbed better. This prevents diarrhea and promotes formation of good stool.

I hope I have explained this information well enough. Please write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Advantanges of broken wheat? 25 hours later
Would you please advise me how can get rid of this regular stomach upset (most of the time with gas trouble).
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 48 minutes later

We will have to first diagnose the problem. Treatment can only be initiated depending on the cause.

As you have a problem with regular gas, this could be related to any of the following conditions:
-Acid reflux disease
-Peptic ulcer disease
-Hiatus hernia
-Irritable bowel syndrome
-Inflammatory bowel disease
and a few other conditions.

I request you to start with medication to reduce the acid production like: ranitidine, pantoprazole, etc.

These medications do not have any serious side-effects, but you will have to consult a doctor to reach a diagnosis a to get a prescription as well.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.