Admitted to hospital following chest pain. Blood test showed high tropolin levels. Does this indicate heart attack?

Question
Hi

My dad was sent to hospital following chest pain and dr did blood tests which revealed high tropolin levels . Does this mean heart attack?
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, most common cause would be a heart attack

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

High troponin levels usually indicate some damage to the heart; so yes, I am sorry to inform you that the most common cause for an elevated troponin level after chest pain is a heart attack.

I hope you found my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for nay further clarifications.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Admitted to hospital following chest pain. Blood test showed high tropolin levels. Does this indicate heart attack? 2 hours later
Although he had no blocked arteries, he still could have suffered heart attack ?

Woulf you have high troponin levels for an angina attack?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes; and yes

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again.

Yes, blocked arteries usually take place due to the deposition of fatty plaque which results in thickening of the artery walls and hardening. But in many cases, there is no deposition of any fatty plaque, but there is still some narrowing triggered by stress, this could be the case in your father's case. The arteries do not have to be blocked, even a slight narrowing can cause a heart attack or other similar conditions.

Yes my friend, high troponin levels can be seen even in case of angina if this has occurred along with some damage to the heart; as mentioned earlier the most common cause of chest pain and high troponin levels is a heart attack, but there can be other causes as well.

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.