Adenoid tissue enlarged. Child snores, has fever, cold and cough frequently. Should the tissue be removed?

ENT Specialist
I am writing a query for my niece who is 5 years old.She often suffers from fever, cold, cough and sometimes even Stomach pain.She snores during sleep.A child specialist had advised an X-ray for determining the Adenoid tissue and it was found in the X-ray that the Adenoid tissue is enlarged.

I need your kind advice about the medication we should follow and whom to consult in this regard Allopathy, Homeopathy or Ayurvedic practisioner.

I would also like to know if the surgery is necessary to remove the adenoid tissue and if removed does it reduce the immunity.Can the size of adenoid tissue be reduced by take medication?

Kindly suggest in this regard.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Adenoid hypertrohpy is seen in all children between the ages of 3 and 7 years. After this age, the adenoid tissue regresses and disappears by the age of 12 -15 years in 95% people.

2. It is safe to operate and remove the adenoids after the age of 5 years without affecting immunity.

3. Before you consider getting an operation done, you should insist on a trial of medication for 3 to 6 months.

4. Medication consists of anti allergics, mucolytics, steroid nasal sprays and supervised steam inhalation. This usually reduces the adenoid mass and improves symptoms in most children, thereby helping to avoid adenoidectomy operations. Medication should always be taken under supervision of your doctor. Discontinue steroid sprays when there is active infection or fever.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have any additional concerns, I will be glad to assist you further.