Addiction to toluene even after rehabilitation. How to help him?

My son is addicted to toulene.even after spending ample time in teen challenge rehab he relapses to help him ..he is 23
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

I am sorry to hear about his addiction problems. Even though it might be difficult to make your child quit addiction it is not impossible.

Medications are an important part of treatment for some types of drug abuse, if he has already tried this he can combine this treatment with counseling and other behavioral therapies.

Sometimes with addictions he might be having coexisting mental disorders (such as depression or anxiety disorders) so in such cases he should be treated for any such causes. Behavior change is the most important element for effective treatment of addiction. Often this requires counseling or behavior modification treatment.

Treatment does not have to be voluntary to be effective. For example, motivation by employers or family members can encourage people with addictions to seek out and continue treatment.

No single treatment is appropriate for everyone; for some different methods will work. You can try different approaches like:

1.Cognitive–behavioral therapy, which seeks to help patients recognize, avoid, and cope with the situations in which they are most likely to abuse drugs. This is supposed to be most effective and highly rated by patients.

2.Multidimensional family therapy, which was developed for adolescents with drug abuse problems—as well as their families—addresses a range of influences on their drug abuse patterns and is designed to improve overall family functioning.

3. Motivational interviewing, which capitalizes on the readiness of individuals to change their behavior and enter treatment.

4. Motivational incentives (contingency management), which uses positive reinforcement to encourage abstinence from drugs.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.

Wish you good health.