Addicted to weed and smoking. Feeling suffocated due to reduced oxygen intake. Need tips on de-addiction. Chances of danger to lungs?

I've been regulary smoking weed,almost 4 times daily since past 3 years. Also i smoke. My oxygen intake has been reduced and sometimes i feel suffocated. I eat less. Please advise to get rid off it and improve my health. Is there any danger to my lungs?Please make it confidential.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 1 hour later

I would like to inform you in advance that, the information between you and me will be strictly confidential, so do not worry about that part.

If you are allergic to dust, smoke, fumes, and get frequent cold then you should avoid smoking of weed and tobacco.

Presently you are smoking weed 4 times a day and also tobacco which is surely XXXXXXX to your lungs.

Now you are suffering from cough, so in that case if you smoke weed or a cigarette it will cause irritation of the wind pipe(bronchus).

This sort of irritation causes constriction of bronchial tubes leading to reduction of oxygen supply.
Such a condition causes breathlessness, suffocation and cough.

At present it is important to get treated for your chest infection so consult a doctor and he will examine you and treat you.
As you are young if you take care of your health and stop smoking your health will surely improve.
To improve health you should take few precautions and change habits
-Stop smoking weed and if you cannot discontinue on your own please take help of rehabilitation center.
-Stop smoking as you are allergic to smoke.
-Do regular exercises and it will help you to improve your health.
-Eat healthy food.
-Drink plenty of water.
-Consult your doctor and start on some multivitamins and antioxidants. (antioxidants help repair damaged tissues and help eradicate free radicals that cause damage).
So please stop smoking and get treated.

Hope I have answered your query. Please write back if you need any more information.

Follow-up: Addicted to weed and smoking. Feeling suffocated due to reduced oxygen intake. Need tips on de-addiction. Chances of danger to lungs? 3 hours later
I have already stopped smoking since past week.Is it possible that my lung tissues has been damaged because of smoking weed? If so, how can I repair it?
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 38 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

It is good that you have stopped smoking weed and hopefully even cigarette.

Smoking causes damage to the lung tissue and so the expansion of the alveoli(small air sacs) is compromised.

Since you are young and your habit is from 3 yrs hopefully part of the damage can be reverted provided you do not smoke and maintain healthy habits.

To help repair faster you should :-

- Take a healthy diet,
- Do regular exercise,
- Get antioxidants prescribed from your doctor as they are known to help repair damage tissues in our body.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept this answer in case you don't have any further queries.