Addicted to trika. How to discontinue this? Alternate medicine?

Dec 2014

I am 45 year old women taking trika 0.5 daily 10 tabs ,since 10years would like discontinue but very difficult to sleep,headache pl, advice me the alternative
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 28 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Trika 0.5 mg contains Alpeazolam which is a Benzodiazepine drug. Long term use of Trika cause dependence both physical and psychological. Abrupt discontinuation will lead to rebound increase in restlessness, poor sleep, tremors etc. symptoms. In usual cases of dependence tapering of drug over 4-8 weeks is advised. As you have mentioned that you have problem of sleep so I would advise you to take some other group of antidepressant drug for insomnia.
Medicines like Amitryptilline in low doses like 10 mg can be taken. It will cover the problem of sleep as well as will help in relieving anxiety. It is non addicting and will replace benzodiazepine. Although it is from different group but it will relieve anxiety.
From first day start taking Trika in half dose (0.25 mg) for 4 weeks and then start on SOS basis over next 4 weeks and then stop taking it.
For proper evaluation visit a good Psychiatrist.

Thanks, if you have more questions you can ask again in follow up.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD