Addicted to tobacco chewing. How to stop the addiction and removal of stains from teeth?

Nephrologist
Question
How to stop eating paan, i am using it for 5 years.
But i am not able to reduce and stop it.
1. is there any option instead using the paan?
2. How can i remove stains from my teeth?
3. is there any food, diets, medicien leaf, or other things good to avoid causing mouth cancer symptoms?
4. What should i do to avoid stating it again after few months?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 26 minutes later

The first step in any de-addiction is realizing there is an addiction problem. I happy you have realized it.

You will need sustained effort from your side and also support from your family and peer group.

The second step would be to approach a de-addiction centre close to your home or to approach a psychiatrist specialized in de-addiction.

You will be initially put on nicotine patches and other medications which will bring down your cravings for paan and also help you with the withdrawal symptoms you might face.

Now to answer your questions one by one

1. There is no substitute to paan but chewing paan without tobacco in it is a safer option.

2. Stains from your teeth can be reduced by first approaching a dentist for teeth cleaning and later whitening of the teeth with certain whitening agent. A good home remedy is to wash your teeth twice weekly with lime juice mixed with half spoon of salt.

3. Stopping tobacco chewing is adequate to prevent oral cancer. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables also helps as an anti oxidant to reduce the incidence of oral cancer.

4. Once the de-addiction program is over, the onus is on you not to restart it again. Best option is to avoid the situations where you would eat paan like approaching a paan stall with friends, being around people who would ask them to join you for paan.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accept my answer.

I wish you good luck.

Follow-up: Addicted to tobacco chewing. How to stop the addiction and removal of stains from teeth? 2 hours later
i have a mind set to stop, that makes me to contact you.so i am sure that i will never park near paan stall and no friend will call me to join then.
My question is... as we say nicorret is there to stop cigerrate, is the any option medically, nutrionally, which will suport me to stop paan?

thanking you..

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for replying.

I would like to add at this point that the principle reason behind cigarette and paan addiction is the same, i.e. Nicotine.

Nicotine is highly addictive substance and one single exposure to it can render one addicted to it.
Nicorret can be used for de addiction of paan chewing as well. Nicorret comes in chewing gum form and dermal patches. Please XXXXXXX a Psychiatrist before starting them. Do not start them on your own.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further query please accept my answer.

I wish you good luck.

Regards.

Follow-up: Addicted to tobacco chewing. How to stop the addiction and removal of stains from teeth? 21 hours later
Yes i will do that, Thanks...
But, is sweet supari OK to start with?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 16 hours later
Thanks for replying.

Sweet supari only contains artificial sweeteners and additives. There is no tobacco in it so it is unlikely to cause addiction. It is safer to switch over.

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if you have no further ones.

I wish you good luck.