Addicted to tobacco. Tried nicotex chewing gum. Unable to open mouth and have burnt inside mouth

hi i m XXXXXXX , frm pune., i was addicted to tobacco.i was trying to come over that, so tried nicotex chewing gum and was taken hard drink as well.but now my skin is completely burnt from inside of the mouth.I am even unable to open mouth wide and i find some changes in my voice as well. Dr.said it will take at least 6 months to recover. taken tobacco-for almost 5 yrs. not taken since 6 days.Dr.said nicotex had worsen the condition.i used to chew it almost for the whole day.My sleep was also disturbed .But due to medicines now i m able to sleep at least.When i eat something it pains otherwise no pains.
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later

Thanks for posting this query to me. I read the details of your query with diligence and my comments are as follows:

1. I understand that you have pain and difficulty in chewing. However, the cause is unclear. The concerns could be related to stomatitis/mucositis secondary to traumatic injury or due to a more concerning issue known as oral submucous fibrosis (OSF).

2. OSF occurs due to an hypersensitivity process from tobacco. A qualified oral pathologist/ENT surgeon can identify this condition based on clinical presentation and biopsy of the oral mucosa.

3. OSF could be a progressive condition that requires submucous hydrocortisone injections; whereas mucositis would gradually improve with oral paint , good oral hygiene.

4. Therefore, I suggest you to discuss with a competent oral pathologist/ENT doctor and learn about your condition and process of healing.

5. Lastly multivitamin supplements - b complex and c containing medications benefit both the conditions. Please add them to your list of current medication. I also hope you have stopped tobacco in all forms.

Hope I provided you with an eagles eye view of your condition. Let me know if you have any specific concerns.

Best wishes