Addicted to spacmoproxyvon for arthritis and body pain. Now drug is not available. How to manage withdrawal symptoms?

Psychiatrist
Question
Dear Doctor, My 82 year old mother is addicted to Spasmoproxyvon; she takes 6 capsules per day for arthritis and generalised body pain. Now the drug is banned and not available. I am worried how to manage her pain and also how to manage withdrawal symptoms. Please advise.
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 42 minutes later
Hello.......
Thanks for your query. Spasmoproxyvan is dextropropoxyphene belonging to opiate group of drugs. I would suggest starting tramadol in the place of dextroproxopoxphene after calculating opioid equivalents. Tramadol is an opioid freely available in market with a prescription. That should address her pain issues as well as successfully manage opioid withdrawal symptoms. We face this problem regularly in clinic after spasmoproxyvan was withdrawn from market. Wish her good health.
Dr Sundar
Substance use specialist

Follow-up: Addicted to spacmoproxyvon for arthritis and body pain. Now drug is not available. How to manage withdrawal symptoms? 35 minutes later
Thanks Doctor,
Please do elaborate on how to "calculate opioid equivalents."

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 3 hours later
Hello......
Conversion in terms of opioid equivalents and decision on right dosage of tramadol is best left to the physician. I would not advise you do that by self. Wish her speedy recovery.
Dr Sundar
Substance use specialist

Follow-up: Addicted to spacmoproxyvon for arthritis and body pain. Now drug is not available. How to manage withdrawal symptoms? 7 hours later
OKay Doctor!
Thanks very much for your prompt reply and helpful response.

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 9 hours later
All the best.
Dr Sundar