Addicted to smoking. Having frequent headache. How to get relief?

Jan 2013

I am having frequent headache, sometime it is severe and sometime mild. I work in afternoon shift but worked for 8 years in night shift. I am addicted to smoking
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated details along with mentioned.
What is the type of headache?
Do you have any aggravating or relieving factor for this headache?
Do you have associated tears and running nose?
Do you have past history of injury?
Is headache involving whole head or half head?

There are at least 15-20 types of headache have been defined and diagnosis is made generally on the basis of history defined by patient.
Migraine is the most common type of headache and is a syndrome made up of multiple symptoms.
Migraine is associated with pulsatile type of headache, gets aggravated by lack of sleep, exposure to noise and sun light, excessive tea and coffee.
Tears from eyes and running nose is a feature of tension headache and at times, two sub types of headache may be present in a single patient.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ neurologist and should go for thorough neurological check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, CT/ MRI scan of head, XXXXXXX
Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
Meanwhile, you should take sumantriptan along with naprosyn, divalproex and propranolol on written prescription from your local doctor.
If naprosyn alone is not able to control headache, then you can also take ergotamine and tolfenemic acid.

Take sound sleep and avoid excessive tea, coffee and chocolates if you are taking.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava