Addicted to pristiq. What should I do to stop taking it?

Dec 2014

I would like to stop taking Pristiq and don't know how . Do I taper off or just quit taking it cold XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Pristiq is a SNRI drug and it is a good anti anxiety and anti depressant drug. Abrupt cessation of therapy after long term use may cause Serotonin Discontinuation Syndrome. So tapering of drug is advised.

Start with decreasing 25% of dose every two weeks and stop taking drug completely after 6-8 weeks. Suppose you are currently on 100 mg per day then decrease the dose to 75 mg (one and half tablets of 50 mg tab) and take 75 mg over next 2 weeks, then again decrease it to 50 mg per day for 2 weeks. Over next 2-4 weeks take 25 mg per day and then stop taking the drug. Desvenlafexine has short half life so tapering is must to stop therapy.

Hope I cleared your doubt, If you have more questions you can ask again in follow up.
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD
(Consultant Psychiatrist)
Follow-up: Addicted to pristiq. What should I do to stop taking it? 44 minutes later
I take 50mg a day, so should I cut this pill in thirds? Also, I take 50mg of Trazadone and want to stop taking it. I didn't take one last night and was up all night. Do I need to taper off or should I tough it out.
Thank you so much for your help.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 21 minutes later
Hello again

50 mg a day is not a high dose, you can do it 25 mg per day for 2 weeks and then every alternate day for next 2 weeks and then you can stop it. The doses of 50 mg don't cause much withdrawal symptoms. Mild restlessness may occur but it will go away in a day or two.
Trazodon at 50 mg is also a good sleep inducer. So stopping it will lead to rebound insomnia. First of all taper the doses of Pristiq then start tapering trazodon over 4 weeks in the same schedule as of Pristiq.

Hope I cleared your doubt, if you are satisfied with answer please rate it.
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD