Addicted to otrivin nasal drops. How to get rid of it?

i am addicted to otrivin nasal drops ,i am using this from past 5 years and not able to get rid of it till now

please suggest me a solution to get rid of this

thank u
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cardiovascular issues and rebound effect.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

2 possible reasons for convincing you to get rid of Xylometazoline:

1. Cardiovascular symptoms like dizziness, high blood pressure, palpitations will be real problem and will get worse. This in addition to anxiety.

2. Rebound effect - contrary to relief - prolonged unauthorized use will in fact worsen nasal stuffiness. This is a class effect of the drug.

I would have tested IgE levels along with blood eosinophils in such a patient and to find the allergen possibly by sensitivity testing. This way the cause of the allergy can be identified if any. Meanwhile, I would have put you medications of antihistaminic group for a period till relief is seen along with some counselling to persuade you from taking otrivin further. This is tricky considering 5 years of addiction but is possible.

Second, I would also have ordered Paranasal sinuses radiograph to make sure of any lurking sinus infections, which may lead to congestion.

But, if allergic rhinitis has already been diagnosed then, short courses of above tablets whenever indicated and using saline nasal drops instead will be a far better and rational therapy.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet, MBBS, MD.
Consultant Physician.
Follow-up: Addicted to otrivin nasal drops. How to get rid of it? 39 hours later

i have also started using drops which are used for desesitization of allergens
are these drops useful in my case.

thank u
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 33 hours later
Brief Answer:
If prescribed by the doctor - then Yes.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the followup.

Can you tell the brand name of same, and whether this was prescribed by your doctor.

These drops do work, when used for the right duration. As you have a long history - the duration will depend on the type of medication.

Wish you best of health.