Addicted to masturbation. Will it affect my sexual life in future? How can I stop it?

Question
i am 31 year male, i am kind of addicted to daily masturbation, some time i even do it more then 3 times a day , please advice me how to stop this. and want to know does it makes any difference or effects my capability of having normal sex ,as i am virgin
Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 minutes later

There is no fixed rule that you should masturbate only up to some times per day or week. Frequency of masturbation depends on many factors like a person’s sexual tension, hormone levels influencing sexual arousal which are usually more in young age, sexual habits, culture in which that person is residing and general health.

At a younger age people usually have more sex drive and their frequency of masturbation is maximum. You can indulge in this activity as long as it is pleasurable and you have the drive for it. It should not cause any guilt feeling or pain or discomfort. But avoid doing it with any object which causes trauma to the genitalia.

The most common psychological problems which are be related to masturbation are inhibited sexual desire, anxiety disorders, mental fatigue, stress, guilt etc. If you are experiencing negative emotions/thoughts related to the frequency of masturbation, masturbating less often may solve the problem.

For this purpose:

1)     First of all find out the cause of excessive masturbation. It could be because you are bored, lonely, hurt, stressed, or it could be because of pains from the past.
2)     Identify the time when you indulge in masturbation frequently. If supposing it is at night then exercise just before going to bed. exercise will also help you to be more tired and fall asleep faster.
3)     Try to identify and focus on activities that make you feel better. Motivate yourself to do things for yourself.
4)     Talk with your friends and family and join a gym along with your friends so that you spend maximum time outside where you cannot indulge in masturbation.
5)     Regular exercise and proper diet are essential to good health. Exercise is of paramount importance because it releases endorphins from the body.
6)     Join yoga and meditation classes to keep your mind calm and relaxed
Unfortunately there is no medicine or device to stop excessive masturbation and the above mentioned lifestyle techniques will help you in dealing with excessive masturbation.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Addicted to masturbation. Will it affect my sexual life in future? How can I stop it? 12 minutes later
Sir,
i try to keep my self busy in my work, but it is a pain from past which keeps me haunting, and i am not able to leave it behind, but my biggest fear is, does it will effect my ability to have normal sex.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

You should be able to have normal sex. Masturbation can never cause erectile dysfunction or impotency. Scientifically & medically it has been found to have no causative effect on any physical or mental disease. As i have mentioned before, If you feeling apprehensive regarding the frequency of masturbation, then you should not over do it.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Regards.