Addicted to masturbating. How to control this?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi..I am very addicted to masturbating and I want to stop. Please tell me how.
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Masturbation is a normal phenomena

But, the fact that you are saying that you have become addicted, I would like to know what are the reasons for which you are thinking that you are addicted ?

Also, kindly tell me why do you want to stop ?

In other words, if you do not stop it, what problem it can lead on to ?

Getting answers to these will help me to address your issues more effectively and more adequately

I look forward to your response

Follow-up: Addicted to masturbating. How to control this? 30 minutes later
I know it's a normal phenomenon but under a limit, right? Sometimes I masturbate 5 times a day. That's got to be harmful. The reason I want to stop doing it is mainly because I feel it causes pimples/acne on my face. Also I feel it's not good for health. The other problem I feel is that it can somehow affect my fertility in long term. I feel I have become addicted because every once in a while I tend to masturbate, even if I try to stop myself I can't. It kills me that I have become a slave to these urges I get. I hate losing control of myself.

Also my way of masturbating is slightly different from others. My god this is embarrassing, you sure this is confidential? Is there some other way of discussing all this??

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thank you for the response

This is absolutely confidential. If you feel like you can discuss it over phone. You have to place a counselling call request to XXXXXXX in my name. This will help you to discuss the issue in detail.

However, Masturbation is considered o be pathological, when:

1. Its so excessive that it disturbs other areas of your life

2. Even if some other important work is there, you indulge in spending time for masturbation, rather than doing that job

3. You are not able to control it, which you admit that you have this point

However, excessive masturbation, scientifically, do not cause pimple/acne, infertility, weakness etc.

Nonetheless, there can be some other organic or hormonal causes for this, also

May be a good idea to talk over phone for 30-45 min, by placing a counselling call in my name via XXXXXXX

Still, I am available for further discussion

Thank you