Addicted to marijuana, smoking daily, blood donation possible ?

Hey , i am a marijuana user , i smoke almost daily , i smoked yesterday also , i am wondering if i am eligible to donate my blood today at a local lood bank.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for your query,

Marijuana is an illicit drug and has various effects on the body system.It raises Blood pressure,increases heart rate,constricts blood vessels and affects the blood count.It also has effect on the immune system and lung capacity.

It along with its metabolites stay in the body for a week. While donating the blood usually a check is done for various diseases but not for this drug.

Since you have been using the drug regularly it is not advisable to go for Blood Donation.If by chance the receiver had some allergy to the Marijuana or its metabolites it can be deleterious to health.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available to answer your follow up query.