Addicted to internet pornography, do hand practice. How to get rid of it without epilepsy medicine?

I am addicted to internet pornography and i tried hard enough to get rid of hand practice..but the more i try to avoid it the more i fall in life has become miserable and i cant concentrate. in fact i don't have enthusiasm in doing anything except life has always been a hell and lonely.there is no one who can understand me. i get excited too fast and again i lower down.when i feel stress i do hand practice for temporary relief. I don't want any medicine as my epilepsy medicine has been a curse both for me n my family and my family will not allow any medicine without their knowing.Like i said no one understand what i m trying to say..plz help I really want my life back.
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Eating Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I can understand that you are under a lot of stress due to your problems. Masturbation is considered as a part of normal human sexual behaviour and watching pornography is fairly common among young males. However, these habits can become a major problem when they becomes excessive and addictive. They can result in excessive guilt and anxiety, and therefore affect the psychological well being of the individual. Moreover, if you don’t learn to have control over them, then they can cause problems in your future married life. So, I would give you the following suggestions to overcome these habits:

- Firstly, try to keep your mind active and occupied at all times. When the mind is idle, it will tend to wander away to sexual thoughts. So, keep a busy schedule so that you don't let your mind have any idle time. You can find a new hobby or learn something new (like a new sport or a musical instrument) or you can take up a new assignment at work.

- Regular physical exercise is very important. You can join a gym or have your own exercise schedule. This will not only keep your body healthy but serve as a good outlet to let out to vent out your energy.

- Make specific plans and goals for your future. You have to make short-term and long-term goals for your life and start working to achieve them. This will keep your mind foccussed and prevent your thoughts from getting scattered.

- Improve your social life. XXXXXXX friends and relatives, go for outings or group activities and keep yourself busy. If you keep staying alone in your room, you are more prone to engage in masturbation frequently.

- You can try yoga and meditation. This can help you develop a discipline of your mind and body and help you get a mastery over your thoughts and behaviours.

- Remove anything which triggers you into a mood to masturbate. For example, clear your room of all pornographic material; if you access internet pornography, you can disconnect your internet connection, etc.

- Stop thinking and feeling guilty about this all the time. The more you think about it, the more difficult it becomes to resist. So, get rid of the guilt in your mind and keep your mind relaxed.

In addition to these suggestions, since you seem very stressed out, I would advise you to have a personal consultation with a psychiatrist in your area, for counselling sessions. If you don;t want to take medication, then there are options of effective psychological therapies like behaviour therapy, aversion therapy, hypnotherapy, etc. which can help you get control over any unwanted behaviours or habits.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist