Addicted to internet. Why am I feeling tired and inactive in spite of proper sleep?

Dec 2012

Hi, I am 18 years old, I live in Morocco
I continued my studies in mathematical branch of science
My problem is that this industry wants a bit of work and man studying day and night because it is difficult. and I'm addicted to the internet and facebook. I sleep 22heure night and I wake up at 06 hours, and I am committed and I feel tired and inactive pixel, unlike my friends who slept 0:00 ensuring the scientific study and Contents .. And they wake up in comfort..
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Your problem is a complex psychosocial problem mainly because you know exactly what to do but you do not feel like you have control over the situation.
You know that you have to study hard and give little time for internet fun but yet you continue with it.
Now, my first question is did you make the choice to continue study in mathematics or someone pushed you into it? Secondly do you have love for mathematics?. Your problem might be as a result of lack of interest/love in the subject mathematics. If that is the case, then you need to decide for yourself whether you could pursue studies with another subject or try to develop more love for mathematics.

Lets now look at your addiction problem. Internet addiction has become a quite popular phenomenon and scientist are still studying the subject matter and the methods of solving internet addiction.
On your part, you need to set your goals in life and find out what you wish to get the most out of this life. You need to discuss your addiction problem with somebody or a health expert (a psychiatrist is ideal). You can get involved with other activities that do not require you to work on a computer and each time you feel like "facebooking" or browsing you can get involved with that.
Your problem will require a lot of self control and focus to be dealt with and that will depend entirely on you.
Do XXXXXXX an addiction counselor or doctor for assistance.

Hope this helps
Dr Nsah
Follow-up: Addicted to internet. Why am I feeling tired and inactive in spite of proper sleep? 16 minutes later
i like mathematics and i want to study as like my friends but i dont know to order my time and I sit in front of the computer for many hours . I See my friends stayed up nights to study and wake up in comfort and me no .
I have a goal in my life is to complete my education so I have 5 months to do .I see in myself that I still have time to study for the day when it will be exam but my teachers telling me that time is short and the exam approached
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 9 minutes later
Thanks for updating
If you like mathematics ( XXXXXXX down inside you) and you wish to pursue your career in it then it is a good thing.
Right now what you should do is:

- Quit using facebook and other internet fun stuffs for a while until your exams is over
- Do not follow your friends' reading rhythm, develop yours.
- Rest more (by sleeping) immediately you come back from school
- you will need to see a doctor who can examine you and treat you for anxiety (as you seemingly have) and mild depressive state. So you will need to placed on anxiolytic and antidepressant medications to get you well.
- Be calm
- Practice meditation and controlled breathing
- Talk to a friend or a health expert about your problem.
- Hang out with friends

Write back if you have any other problems.
Dr Nsah
Follow-up: Addicted to internet. Why am I feeling tired and inactive in spite of proper sleep? 17 minutes later
Thanks doctor
I have another problem
I can not wake up from sleep and I feel lazy and tired, even though I do not do nothing during the day only study and walking distance to the school, which lies about 1 km that's all !
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 20 minutes later
From what you are describing you might be suffering from depression as i earlier mentioned. You can follow the advise I gave you and add to it daily exercises.
Exams stress could also be the cause of your depression. You can become unconsciously worried or anxious about your exams situation and that can cause laziness and tiredness.

Wish you the best