Addicted to ice cream and chocolate. Purple bruise appeared on arms and hands. Any ideas?

I was addicted to ice cream and chocolate candy for the past 3 years. It's the only cause I can find for my problem. My problem is that for those 3 years I constantly broke out with purple bruises on my arms and hands. They came and went, but there were always some there. A month ago I gave up my habits and went on a fast. Almost total abstinence from food for 30 days. I got rid of every ache and pain that I ever had, but the purple bruises still keep coming. Definitely not as many as before. I believe that my blood is taking time to clean out. Maybe you know something I don't know. What do you think? I, myself am not medically inclined. I'm more with the natural healing school.
Thank you for your good work in the past. Your organization is always a big help to me.
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
Thanks for the query

Well the problem you have mentioned does not seem to be due to an ice cream or chocolates. The bruises are formed by leaking of the blood under the skin in the tissues. that happens either due to some trauma but occurs more frequently and repeatedly when there is some problem with blood clotting system most commonly due to vitamin K deficiency, autoimmune disorders, liver diseases, thrombocytopenia, clotting factor deficiency or leukemia.
There are some other symptoms associated like spontaneous bleeding from gums, melena (blood in stool) , hemoptysis or hematemesis but that develop in advanced cases.
It is recommended to have consultation from the specialist in XXXXXXX medicine and also have some tests like Liver function tests, PT & APTT, complete blood picture along with blood smear and an ultasonography of abdomen with main focus on liver and biliary system.

If you have some queries, feel free to Ask. It will be my pleasure to help you out