Addicted to drinking, pregnant. Information on fetal alcohol syndrome?

Excellent
Question
I had a drinking problem before I found out I was pregnant. I would have about two drinks in the evenings during the week, but then on the weekend, I would drink a whole bottle of wine by myself in one night. A few days before I found out I was pregnant was particularly bad, when I drank two bottles of wine on my own in one night.

I have somewhat regular periods (about 28 to 30 days apart), and I found out I was pregnant at 4 weeks and 3 days from my last period (about 31 days from my last period, when I knew I was late).

I've been reading about fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) and am hoping for additional information regarding (1) the likelihood that my child will have the facial malformations associated with FAS from heavy drinking in early pregnancy and (2) the likelihood that my child will have the neurological deficits and developmental delays associated with FAS.
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later
The rate of Fetal alcohol syndrome- FAS is 0.5 to 2.0 cases per 1,000 live births. A large study examined 400,000 women in the U.S., all of whom had consumed alcohol during pregnancy. Not a single case of fetal alcohol syndrome occurred and no adverse effects on children were found when consumption was under 8.5 drinks per week.

A review of research studies has found that the fetal alcohol syndrome only occurs among alcoholics. The consumption only during one or two weeks of early pregnancy has no effect on the developing baby. There is no apparent risk to a child when the pregnant woman consumes no more than one drink per day.

Since this is your early pregnancy, if you restrict your alcohol intake now, you can reduce the risk of FAS to almost Zero- both for facial anomalies and for the neurological or developmental delay.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Addicted to drinking, pregnant. Information on fetal alcohol syndrome? 46 minutes later
So drinking heavily (far more than 1 drink per day) in the first two weeks after conception does not pose a significant threat to the baby? I had more than 8.5 drinks per week and more than 1 drink per day during this time period, i.e. from conception until a few days after my missed period. I stopped drinking altogether at 2 weeks and a few days after conception.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The 8.5 drinks per week is an average drinking that can be done during the pregnancy. Since you have stopped taking any drinks after the diagnosis of pregnancy, there is no need to worry.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Addicted to drinking, pregnant. Information on fetal alcohol syndrome? 6 hours later
Thank you, I just want to be sure that I understand what you are saying. Drinking during the first two weeks after conception, even heavy drinking, is not a cause for concern at all, and I should not worry if I stopped drinking four weeks and 3 days after my last period?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Yes. You understood me correctly. The chances of having a fetal alcohol syndrome in your case is almost zero if you do not take any drinks from now on.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards