Addicted to corex syrup. How to get rid of this habit?

my brother (28 yrs old) is addicted to COREX syrup.he take it as a addiction for drugs.I know this since 3 yeras.can you help me with this, if i can cure it without letting him know
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 2 hours later

Thank you for your concern for your brother

Corex contains codeine, an opioid, an addictive chemical.

Addiction to a substance is determined technically by presence of ant three criteria out of six (craving for the substance, tolerence, withdrawal symptoms if he does not take substance, dys-control, neglecting alternative sources of pleasure, persistent despite harm).

Treatment of such ailments are drugs and counseling in combination

Drugs are primarily given in initial phase for treating withdrawal symptoms (possibly lacrymation, sneezing, running nose , loose motion, body pain, sleeplessness etc in your case). This will give some confidence to him that yes, he can stop drugs.

Once, he is off drug and with our medicine for 1-2 weeks, we put another medicine, opioid antagonist which will decrease craving. This will further help him to be away from drug.

The selection of medication, his level of motivation, assessment of his psychosocial situation, behavioral measures, motivation enhancement therapy are the comprehensive holistic treatment approach to such condition. Hence, this is not possible without patient being known that he is taking treatment.

Moreover, we need to know why is he taking drugs, is he satisfied with his life, carrear, job etc., is he going through any suffering/tension that he is not able to handle and so on and so forth. Because these are often the causes that society at large does not know. And the counseling will progress accordingly.

Definitely, treatment in a appropriate deaddiction centre works.

I am available for further clarification

Wish you good luck

In addition, what I guess, perhaps he might be telling lie or he might not be cooperative for such treatment or might have poor motivation for which, I think, You want to treat him without knowledge

I am glad that you seek treatment as many people do not that such treatment exists. But, humbly, treatment will not be complete without his knowledge.
Follow-up: Addicted to corex syrup. How to get rid of this habit? 8 minutes later
Thank you so much doctor!!! My brother stays in Chattisgarh.If you have clinic in Bangalore, kindly let me that if possible i can call him here for the treatment. Thank you again....
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later
In Raipur Dr P.N XXXXXXX a XXXXXXX psychiatrist may be of help.
Deaddiction centre at NIMHANS, Bangalore is a very good institution where such facilities are available including hospital admissions .

Thank you and good luck