Addicted to codeine. How to get rid of this addiction?

I am addicted to Codeine. This started many years ago when I was prescribed codeine by a doctor for many years. How can I get rid of this addiction. ?
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 1 hour later
Thanks for your query. Codeine is a weak opioid and to put in layman's words a weak form of heroin. There are effective agonist medication available like methadone and buprenorphine as well as antagonist medication like naltrexone. After weaning you off codeine I would suggest counselling sessions including relapse prevention techniques. This would prevent re initiation if codeine. I would suggest you XXXXXXX an addiction medicine specialist to decide on choice of drug and regimen. Hope you gained some clarity. Do clarify anything else you may wish to.
Dr Sundar
Addiction medicine specialist