Addicted to alcohol in the past, now feel sick with one drink. Danger sign regarding liver?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I'm a 25 year old woman. My weight is 50 kg and height is about 5'4. I've been drinking since i was 15 and smoking since I was 17. I used to drink and smoke a lot especially since I was about 19. Then I quit smoking and drinking for about a year and half, but started again 2.5 yrs back. Now I drink occasionally though.But now I am noticing I start feeling sick even if I drink just 2 pints of beer. I used to drink a lot of whiskey/vodka but I start feeling nauseous and sick after just one drink. Earlier it used to happen only when I drank heavily (occasional hangovers). Should I get worried about my liver now? I feel I should quit drinking now but should I get my liver tested or something? Other then this I am completely healthy. I work out, do cardio exercises every other day. But why cannot I handle even one drink now? I start feeling like a hangover there and then. Thanks, XXXXXX.
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 15 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on Health Care Magic.

Addressing your concerns regarding liver functions. you can get liver function tests to know the status of your liver.

If you are feeling nauseated and sick after taking alcohol then the best thing is to avoid it.
Tolerance level for alcohol varies from person to person at different time periods.
Since, you were drinking and smoking a lot in the past, there is possibility to get addicted to it again.
So, best avoid it and continue a good diet and exercise.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal