Addicted to Zopicon after long-term usage. How to get rid of this?

I have been taking zopicon7.5 for many years. It seems i have got addicted to it. MY are is around 32. How to get rid of this and also if i do not take medicine, I am not able to sleep properly. My height is around 170 cm. and weight is 95 kg. please help me and suggets.
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 1 hour later

First step in your treatment would be to get in touch with a doctor preferably neurologist/ psychiatrist and take medications only as many he prescribes. Do not refill your medications without the prescription.

You may not be exactly addicted as per the medical definitions but you seem to have developed a habit. A strong will is required to get rid of it. Slowly you can reduce and stop. You should be prepared to face some discomfort in the initial few days and weeks. Slowly as body and brain get used to it, you will be able to maintain without the medication. Sleep is likely to be disturbed initially, but eventually it will be all right.

It may be difficult to quit it on your own and so I would once again advice to involve a doctor (Psychiatrist) in this effort.

I would be happy to answer if there are any more queries.

Good luck.