Addicted to Diazepam. Suffering from withdrawal symptoms. Advice?

I was addicted to diazepam for quite a long time. Then, for about 2 years, I took a maintenance dose
of 4mg. Over about 5 weeks I reduced this, 1mg at a time, to zero. I took no diazepam for about 3
weeks. Since then (Sept 2011) I have been experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms - appropriate,
it seems to me, to stopping a much higher dose than I did. What is the reason for this?. The symptoms are so debilitating my life is virtually over. I have as much time & money as may help
you deal with my question.

Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     65 year old male
•     Known case of diazepam dependence, depression, alcoholism (dry 14 years) and haemophilia
•     Complaints of diazepam withdrawal
•     Currently on: paroxetine 40mg, pregabalin 450mg. diazepam 10mg and disulfiram 200mg

Usually stopping diazepam 4mg gradually after reducing 1mg dose in one time does not cause any problem. Same time in treatment you mentioned about diazepam 10 mg per day dose apart from other medicines.

Your current suffering may be related to depression or side effects of medicines (if started recently). If you write us nature and duration of complaints with current medicine doses again then I can help you even better.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.