Addicted to Alprazolam. Taking Alprazolam and Zolpedem but cannot sleep properly. Which medicine is best for me?

Psychiatrist
Question
i AM ADDICTED TO ALPROZOLAM 1MG . NOW I AM TAKING ALPRAZOLAM CR 1MG + ALPROZOLAM 1MG+ ZOLPEDEM 10MG FOR SLEEP. STILL I AM GETTING PROPER SLEEP ONLY FOR 2-3 HRS. I WILL BE AWAKE BY 2AM AND CAN'T GO TO SLEEP. WHICH MEDICINE IS BEST FOR ME? IN WHICH COMBINATION? IS THERE ANY ALTERNATIVE FOR THIS SITUATION? PLEASE HELP.
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Sleep Disorders

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 5 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

You case is interesting and but difficult too. I will try to give my best effort to help you in this problem.

Currently you are taking total alprazolam 2 mg per day with zolpidem 10mg per day. In eqivalent doses 10mg zolpidem is equal to 1mg alprazolam. So, total alprazolam equivalent dose is 3mg per day. It is very high dose considering your age.

Common reason of sleep problems at your age is:
-Poor sleep hygiene
-Anxiety
-Depression
-Other psychiatric illnesses
-Substance use
-Chronic pain
-Primary (idiopathic) insomnia

For management following steps are needed:
-Slow tapering of alprazolam after replacing it with long acting medcines like Diazepam in equivalent doses. It is a specialized treatment and must supervised by de addiction specialist (usually psychiatrist).
-Identification and management of cause of insomnia

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.