Added humulin to the levemir. Blood sugar is running high after humulin. Was taking glucovance with the levemir

My doctor is adding humulin to the levemir I am now taking. After 4 days my blood sugar is running over 300 after the morning dose of humulin. I was taking glucovance with the levemir. Would it be ok to take a glucovance now?
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 26 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

From the information you have sent it looks like your blood sugar is not well controlled right now during the transition of your medications.

I am sure that your doctor prefers that you stay on the long-acting insulin to keep your blood sugar under control.

I think a higher dose of the Levemir Would probably serve you better. I think this is something you can work on with your primary care doctor. A minor adjustment in the long acting insulin can make a significant difference in your blood sugar over a short period of time.

Certainly blood sugar above 300 is not optimal. A minor adjustment of your insulin dosage is probably all that you need rather than adding a different medication.

i would encourage you to touch base with your doctor. He will likely make an adjustment to the long-acting insulin and hopefully you will feel better with good blood sugar control.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga