Adam's apple hurting after vomiting, worse when swallowing. Will it subside?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Ive vomited 3 times and my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX is killing me. I've never had this pain when vomiting before. Hurts so bad without even swallowing, but when i do swallow its excruciating. I'm worried that I'm going to be vomiting more and it will only get worse. Will this subside, or get worse, and should I go to the ER?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 44 minutes later

The larynx or wind wipe (trachea) & pharynx and esophagus are next to each other just beneath the XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Forceful vomiting may cause
-     mucosal tears in the esophagus or irritation
-     Laryngeal pain if food enters it by mistake
-     Laryngeal injury due to barotrauma.
Any of the above might be causing the pain.

The condition is usually unharmful and resolves gradually if you do no vomit further, but if vomiting persists then the pain might worsen.

The severity of injury is difficult to judge by subjective symptoms like pain.

I suggest you to consult a doctor in the ER so that he can clinically examine and confirm the diagnosis. He/ she may start you on antiemetic like ondansetron, antacids like pantoprazole with some anesthetic gel for pain relief.

In the meantime, avoid solid foods; drink plenty of water and home available fluids - few sips at a time.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further queries.