Acute redness and red veins in right eye, dry eye, on excedrin

Female, 33yrs old, no health prob, no medication, homemaker & I have a good diet! Acute redness & red veins in right eye only, no pain-per say... just 'feel' something is there (I just think it's the larger veins that I feel). I had a light headache the day this appeared-which was yesterday (5-25)... but it didn't last long & went away with Excedrin.=) No itchiness, no blurriness, no draining, no pus, no eye injury, no discharge, no pain, or anything else. No fever or even a cold (it's been well over 7 months since my last sniffle or cold). I don't even have allergies... and if I did, I would think that it would affect BOTH eyes, and not just ONE! I do have the feeling to blink more often (as if the eye is dry)... but that is really the only thing that I can point out. My husband pointed it out to me yesterday. I had no idea about it till he asked me what was wrong with my eye. Since it just appeared, I am thinking about giving it some time (maybe 7-10 days & see IF infact it will go away on it's own, but was wondering if I might need to get it checked out sooner than later. Thanks for your help! ~XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Acute redness and red veins confined to one eye only is usually due to swollen or dilated blood vessels, which cause the surface of the eye to look red, or bloodshot.

Since you do not have any pain or vision problems associated with it, this is not an emergency situation or the one with XXXXXXX consequences.

This redness may result from extremely dry air, sun exposure, dust, foreign body, an allergic reaction, infection, trauma, or severe straining or coughing.

Although this bloody area may appear alarming, it is a fairly common occurrence and is not highly significant.

Such minor hemorrhages do subside on their own in 3 to 6 weeks time and not much treatment is helpful in such cases.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.