Acute bronchitis, sensation of breathing in cold air.Chest X-ray done. Could this be pneumonia?

Pulmonologist
Question
im so worried well this all started in the summer time when i ended up in the hospital with acute bronchitus it was the worst ever anyways months passed and im scared im getting it again i have a weird sensation when i breath like im breathing in cold air what can this be
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in General Health
Follow-up: Acute bronchitis, sensation of breathing in cold air.Chest X-ray done. Could this be pneumonia? 10 minutes later
does this cold air feeling when i breath in be pnemonia

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later

After going through your history, I would like to ask a few questions so as to advise you accordingly:

1. What is your age and gender?
2. Do you currently have cough, breathlessness, and fever or chest pain? If yes, then since how many months?
3. In the past, did you ever have a chest complaint or were you ever investigated for the same? If yes, then what were the reports?
4. Do you have history of any associated allergy? Does anyone in your family have any similar history?
5. Have you ever experienced whistling sounds when breathing?
6. Are you currently on any medications? If yes please mention them.
7. Did you have either your chest Xray or blood examination done recently? If yes, please mention the reports.
9. Do you smoke? If yes, since when?

Please do let me know the above details as far as possible so that I can approach your problem accordingly.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Gyan Mishra
MBBS MD DNB

Follow-up: Acute bronchitis, sensation of breathing in cold air.Chest X-ray done. Could this be pneumonia? 6 hours later
the last time i had a chest x XXXXXXX was. in july and yes i do smoke weed everyday. and i feels difficult to breath

Thanks for the follow up.

With the given information, I would like to comment the following:

1. Considering your smoking history and previous clinical symptoms, you have already suffered from an episode of acute bronchitis.

2. Currently your presenting symptom is breathlessness.

3. You need to get yourself evaluated for breathlessness by getting your pulmonary function test done under consultation with a Pulmonologist.

4. There is a possibility of you suffering from COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) which can be diagnosed on PFT (pulmonary function test).

5. You need to quit smoking as it is never too late. Professional assistance in this regard can be availed from a Pulmonologist.

6. Another possibility is acute pharyngitis, for which you may take antibiotics with daily warm saline gargles after consultation with your physician.

7. Since you do not have cough, fever or chest pain at present, there is very less likelihood of you suffering from pneumonia at present.

8. Thus at present you need to get yourself evaluated with a Pulmonologist as mentioned above.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

Wish you a good health.

Regards.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS, MD, DNB

Follow-up: Acute bronchitis, sensation of breathing in cold air.Chest X-ray done. Could this be pneumonia? 3 hours later
i have experienced a whistleing sund when breathing. im so scared i only been smoking for 3 or 4 years im nearvous i have copd now im only 19 and i dont have a cough but i think i have a feaver because i woke up swaeting massivly twice

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 9 minutes later

Thanks for follow up.

Now that you have revealed your age to be 19. The diagnosis seems to be in favour of acute bronchitis with hyper responsive airways. COPD will be less likely at your age.

As mentioned earlier, since you do have whistling sounds & fever. It is advised that you visit a pulmonologist who may advise the following:
1. Pulmonary function test / blood investigations/ repeat chest xray. (Please do ask your lung age after the pulmonary function test report).
2. You may require a course of antibiotics in consultation with your physician for the episode of acute bronchitis.
3. Inhaled bronchodilator drugs may be prescribed after your pulmonary function test.
4. Remember, you need to quit smoking as I have already mentioned above.

I hope I have answered your query. Please do let me know if there are any further queries.
Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

Wish you a good health.

Regards.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS, MD, DNB

Follow-up: Acute bronchitis, sensation of breathing in cold air.Chest X-ray done. Could this be pneumonia? 52 minutes later
does this meen that i am damged forever and i will never be able to breath no more
Follow-up: Acute bronchitis, sensation of breathing in cold air.Chest X-ray done. Could this be pneumonia? 23 minutes later
im so scared

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 7 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Considering your smoking history and age, COPD is unlikely to affect you at this stage. But your lung function decline will definitely be more than the non smokers.

Acute bronchitis is a reversible condition if managed properly. Thus, at this stage, permanent lung damage is less likely.

However, you need to quit smoking without any second thoughts.

Wish you a good health.

Regards.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS, MD, DNB