Active in sporting activities. Pain in left knee. Suggest the cure?

I am a male, 35 yrs and active on sporting activities- tennis, jogging and soccer. Recently developed pain in the left knee. What could be the cause and cure?
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sport related...

Detailed Answer:

It would be extremely difficult to guess the cause of knee pain. If you can elaborate more - about the duration of pain, severity of pain, effects of movements (climbing/running/jumping) on the pain, aggravating and relieving factors, co-existing symptoms like swelling, redness, fever, other joint pains and so on - I might be able to narrow down on few possibilities.

However if I have to make a wild guess, I would first consider sports induced knee injuries and then early arthritis. Both these conditions will need further evaluation. Basic blood tests followed by X-ray and if needed CT scan will identify the exact case.

Since those are my wild guess, I am unable to specify the exact management. But you can safely use pain killers at times of severe pain. I use diclofenac sodium tablets in my patients with joint pains. Along with the oral pain killer, you can use ice and rest the joint for better pain control.

Write back for clarifications.

Follow-up: Active in sporting activities. Pain in left knee. Suggest the cure? 54 minutes later
Hello Dr XXXXXXX thanks for the elaborate response. To clarify further, I don't have chronic pain, and am able to run without too much trouble. However, if I am seated for a long duration say more than an hour, then it takes a couple of mins before I can straighten the knee without any pain. Also I cannot bend the knee fully without pain or sit on my haunches. I thought of checking this since it may be the start of something which I want to detect at an early stage. Do let me know your thoughts. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Prasad 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You will need evaluation...

Detailed Answer:

Absence of pain cannot be taken as a positive indicator in all cases. Since you have slightly reduced mobility after a period of rest and have discomfort while in squatting posture it is essential that you visit a specialist and get investigated.

The discomfort may be a sign of early arthritis or minor tears of ligaments/meniscus. You will need radiological tests (X-rays and scans) to confirm the seriousness of concern.

I recommend that you get the tests done at the earliest.

Hope this helps. Write back for clarifications