Acro Sclerosis, skin infection, stiffness, pigmentation, breathlessness, joint pain, treatment

Hi, DR
Myself XXXXXXX 30 yrs from maharashta India,
iam having Acro Sclerosis for 2007 my skin is highly infected getting stiff and dark also having breathlessness joints pain so looking for best doctor and best treetment for the desis
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Multiple Sclerosis
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 1 hour later

Thanks for the query,

Before discussing the tretment options i wanted you to know few things of this disease.
Acro Sclerosis is the one of the manifestations of Scleroderma. There will be overproduction of collagen (connective tissue or "scar" tissue) in the body. The excess collagen is deposited in the skin and in some cases, in and around the organs and that leads to the characteristic hardening and thickening effect. The symptoms will flctuates in long run .

The treatment options that are currently available for the management and treatment of localized scleroderma,(Acro Sclerosis) including:

* Psoralen photochemotherapy (PUVA).
* Topical photodynamic therapy.
* Drug therapy.

The medications that are prescribed for the management and treatment of systemic sclerosis, including:

* Immunosuppressive agents(methotrexate,Mycophenolate Mofetil ,Azathioprine, tacrolimus etc)
* Antifibrotic agents.
* Anti-inflammatory agents.
* Vasodilator agents.
* Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors.

Since youy are already on standard treatment ,and i suggest you to follow the same. In case if there is any worsening of the condition. There are some treatment options which will help in such condition,but only your treating doctor will decide the merits of its usage in your condition.

A detailed overview of new treatments that are currently under investigation for the treatment of systemic sclerosis, including:

* Interferons(Roferon-A,Intron-A,Pegasys).
* Enbrel (Etanercept),Humira (Adalimumab)}.
* Halofuginone.
* Plasmapheresis.
* Photopheresis.
* Autologous stem cell transplantation.

Sorry my knowledge regarding the best doctor in Maharashtra is limited.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Acro Sclerosis, skin infection, stiffness, pigmentation, breathlessness, joint pain, treatment 7 hours later
My treating Rheumatologist asked me to take suggestion from Dermatopathologist
& now Dermatopathologist is asking me to take steroids via IV 3 times in month for 12 months... so should i go for that ?
and also suggest me the best doctor where ever available for the disease ??
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 15 hours later

Thanks for follow up query.

Please follow the Dermatopathologist advice, steriods will surely help in this condition and It is commonly advised .

Here is the information of one of the renowned Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist.
Dr. XXXXXXX Khopkar
103, 1st Floor, XXXXXXX Fun & Shop, Opposite Hindmata Cloth Market, Dadar east, Mumbai, Maharashtra 0000.
Contact no: 0000.

Hope this information helps you.

Wish you good health.