Acquired Aplastic anemia, flu, pale. Working as a petroleum operator during pregnancy. Any relation?

Can my son's illness Aplastic Anemia be caused by me being a Petroleum Operator dealing with fuel whilst pregnant. The first 6 weeks of the pregnancy I was dealing with Diesel, breathing in vapours an contact with fuel. An the last 4 months of the pregnancy I was located in a small work area near petroleum fumes. He was diagnosed at 6 months its Acquired Aplastic Anemia, prior to this he was alway ill with flu like symptoms an pale. Just wondering is there any chance from the fuel at all.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 3 hours later
As you have been exposed to toxic petroleum fumes during the early stages of your pregnancy, there is a possibility that your son could be ill due to this.

Long-term or chronic exposure to chemicals like benzene or other toxic materials can also lead to serious, even deadly diseases. Some of the health effects from long term exposure to toxic chemicals can include: lung cancer, bladder cancer, kidney cancer, liver cancer, scarring of the lungs, asthma, nerve damage, leukemia, and aplastic anemia.

According to the Hazard Communications Standard, a rule enacted by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration , every company should protect or inform employees from injuries related to working with chemicals.

1.     The injuries or diseases that the chemical can cause.
2.     The equipment necessary to protect workers from excessive exposure.
3.     The maximum amount of chemical to which a worker can be exposed.

If you did not know, or were not informed then you can take up this issue with your employer or the chemical manufacturer for compensation.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Follow-up: Acquired Aplastic anemia, flu, pale. Working as a petroleum operator during pregnancy. Any relation? 40 minutes later
Is there any medical information or studies in regards to fuel affecting the feutus of pregnant woman or an cases that you know of that has occured.
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up.

You can check the following website which will provide you with all the information required. I do not know of any cases directly, but have heard and read about the possibilty.
Benzene, Aplastic Anemia, and Leukemia
I hope this helps you. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Wish you and your son a good health.