Acne, tachycardia, PVCs, vision problem, done blood test, had entamoeba histolytica, had gall bladder removal

Hi. 5 years ago I had what appeared to be a diseased gall bladder. All the symptons were present, but the tests did not show the gall bladder diseased. A surgeon recommended exploratory surgery. It was performed, and removed, only to find out 3 days post surgery, I had entomeba hystolitica(parasite). Since that time I have not been myself. I have been plagued with acne like boils, bouts of tachycardia, and PVC s. Before the boils appear I have pain in the area that s excruciating, then a pimple. They last for quite awhile. My vision has also gone wacky,,, needing glasses 6 months after surgery, and 2 different prescriptions since then. I am 46, 185 5'8 and healthy prior to the entomoeba and surgery.. my blood tests have shown normal except for Est GFR 78 and CRP 5.6 Any thoughts?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

I can understand your concern for these symptoms but these symptoms are unrelated to the gall bladder disease or entamoeba infection that you had.

The GFR(glomerular filteration rate) test is used to screen for and detect early kidney damage and to monitor kidney status. In your case there is a mild decrease in GFR. It decreases in most people with age but chronic kidney disease also needs to be ruled out.

You need to get a through check up of the kidneys done from a nephrologist, get kidney function tests and imaging of the kidneys through procedures such as an ultrasound test. This can provide an idea of the size of the kidneys, how your urinary tract looks and whether there is any obstruction present.

Secondly regarding the palpitations, causes include anemia, hyperthyroidism, abnormal levels of electrolytes like potassium, magnesium, and calcium,caffeine,tobacco and alcohol intake,stress,heart conditions like narrowing of the coronary arteries, paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardias etc.

I feel that a clinical evaluation and investigations like ECG, stress echo,Haemoglobin levels,thyroid profile and blood tests measuring the levels of electrolytes are needed in confirming a diagnosis.

The acne are independent of these and may be stress induced. A through ophthalmic check up should always be done and any vision defects ruled out.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.