Acne, pimple marks. Prescribed Zycolchin medication, also for gout. Should I discontinue?

Dermatologist
Question
MY DR. PRESCRIBED ME ZYCOLCHIN AAND ISOTROIN FOR ACNE. BUT I HAVE HEARD ZYCOLCHIN IS PRESCRIBED FOR GOUT . WHAT SHOULD I DO?? SHD I DISCONTINUE THE MEDICATION. I DNT HV ANY PIMPLES ON MY FACE SINCE DEC BUT PIMPLE MARKS ARE THERE
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Acne

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi Dear,

Treatment of acne depends upon the stage or grade of acne one has. There are four grades is acne, from blackheads (mild) to nodular variety (severe). Also treatment depends upon the cause of acne. Cause of acne may be just a wrong selection of soap or a moisturizer to hormonal disturbances in body (esp. in females).

Treatment starts form the use of a anti-acne face cleanser. It can be a anti acne soap or a face wash.

Isotretinoin is a preferred drug for acne when given for grade 3 and 4 acne (if you have many pustular, nodulocystic and scarring Acne). If you only have any pimples and dark spots only then Isotretinoin is best avoided as it is not of any value.

Also Zycolchin is colchicine useful in gout and amyloidosis of skin and not used for acne. You better avoid it. You should re consult your dermatologist for these drugs.

For only dark spots salicylic acid peeling, glycolic acid would be more useful than Isotretinoin.

Also you have mentioned Melanorm HC which contains steroid which may aggravate your acne.

Azelaic acid 20% is ideal treatment and you can use it for pigmentation.

Along with this one has to drink plenty of water and take good 7 hr sleep in night. Avoid all cosmetic creams or moisturizers on face. Healthy life style with above treatment is a must to keep your face clean and acne free.

So, I would advise you to consult a skin specialist(dermatologist) who can prescribe you medicines accordingly.

Hope this answers your query, if you have any further questions kindly write back to us.