Acidity, gas, heart burn. History of fever. Should I take Rebeprazole?

Hi, I am having serious acidity & gas . Heartburn also. this has aggravated after i suffered from fever and had to take Azithromycin for 3 days. Now shall i take rebeprazole 20 mg? what about rekool l? Many times i am facing serious heartburn at the mid of the night also. and most of the time i have to take gas out of my mouth before i go to sleep. What to do? pl advise.
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
AZITHROMYCIN is known to cause nausea,vomiting,abdominal pain and diarrhea.
However this is temporary and you can take RABEPRAZOLE 20 mg for this.

Heartburn at night is experienced by eight out of ten people and the main reason is the food that a person eats. Unhealthy eating habits are the main cause and the faster you make amends to the way you eat and what you eat, you can indeed rest in peace.

Heartburn is caused when stomach acid refluxes--backs up--into the esophagus. This can occur for a number of reasons:

1....When the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), the valve that keeps stomach acid in the stomach, is weakened or relaxed and doesn't do its job properly. This is the most common symptom of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD).
2.....Certain foods, such as chocolate, fried and fatty foods, peppermint, coffee, alcohol, sugars, can weaken or relax the XXXXXXX
3......Eating large meals or shortly before bedtime.
4.....A hiatal hernia.
5......Pressure on the stomach, including frequent bending over, tight clothes, lifting, obesity.
6.......Certain medications.
8......Stress can increase acid production and slow down the emptying of the stomach.

To avoid the restlessness heartburn at night brings, a few tips are listed below 

1. Have a light dinner: If you want to binge, make sure you do it during lunch time. Have a heavy breakfast, a lighter lunch and extremely light dinner.

2. Do not eat and sleep: Try and eat at least a few hours before you go to bed or even lie down and watch some television. When you lie down immediately, the contents in your stomach will press harder causing heartburn at night. Try and fit in a 10 minute walk after dinner to avoid heartburn.

3. Watch your diet: The best way to avoid heartburn is to avoid foods that are known to cause it. Carbonated and caffeinated beverages, greasy and oily foods, spicy food, citrus fruits and other foods can cause heartburn at night, so be careful with regards to what you eat and you will not experience heartburn.

4. No midnight meals: Don’t indulge in late night snacking, if you feel hungry, have a glass of milk.

If you have heartburn once a month, it's considered mild. If you have heartburn once a week, it's moderate. It's when your heartburn occurs daily that it's considered to be severe.

Do these simple steps and you should be alright but if you don't get relief by this,then you require a consolation with a Gastroenterologist and possible gastroscopy to look for the exact cause

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query,
If you are satisfied by the reply and there is nothing more to ask,then you may please rate my answer and close this query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Acidity, gas, heart burn. History of fever. Should I take Rebeprazole? 52 minutes later
Thanks for the advice. Sir for how many days i have to take rebeprazole 20 mg. can i take rekool l? heartburn is there most of the times.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 22 minutes later
Since you are having lot of heartburn on regular basis,I would advise you take the measures as advised above along with RABEPRAZOLE 20 mg once a day in morning,empty stomach,for 4 weeks.
If your symptoms return after 4 weeks of regular medications and observing all the precautions,then you are advised to consult the Gastroenterologist for proper investigations and treatment.