Acidity and headache. Taking antacid before sleeping at night. How do I get rid of this problem?

I have a very bad acidity problem and headaches problem. need to take one antacid table everyday before goingto sleep. If I skip the tablet then cannot sleep for the whole night. I have been taking antacide tablets for almost four years now. And need to get rid of the same.

Patients height : 4.9", weight 60 Kgs., age 40
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 1 hour later

Thank you for posting in your query

Here are a few suggestions to battle acidity.

1. To drink loads of water; atleast 2 - 2 1/2 liters/day.
2. Get adequate sleep; atleast 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep.
3. Sleep with head end of the bed raised.
4. Eat small and frequent meals.
5. Reduce spice and oil in the diet.
6. Avoid alcohol or smoke, if you do.
7. Minimize stress in your life be it personal or professional.
8. Try Yoga or meditation.
9. Moderate aerobic exercise 20-30 min /day for 5 days/week will benefit you.

Coming to your problem, I will suggest the following:

Continue with the medication for now. You may consult a Gastroenterologist who can perform endoscopy and biopsy done to rule out any Helicobacter pylori infection. Helicobacter pylori infection if any needs to be treated with appropriate medications. In addition, the following investigations are like CBC (Complete blood count), ESR (Erythrocyte sedimentation rate), Vitamin B12, Folate, Iron profile, Liver function, IgG/IgA against H. pylori are entailed. They can be performed under guidance of your physician / gastroenterologist.

Your BMI (Body mass index) comes to around 30 which puts you in the obese category. People with high body weight are known to have gastritis problems. Work towards reducing your weight

A good lifestyle modification as explained above in points and a gastroenterologist opinion would definitely help you to relieve you from your problems.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr Gowri